[boat refit] new spray dodger

General chatter - For ALL sailors and sailing Enthusiasts
Eddie

[boat refit] new spray dodger

Post by Eddie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Wife was not amused when the companionway hatch was open to let in some fresh air and it rained and let in rainwater as well.

Happy wife, happy life!
exposed companionway (Small).JPG
exposed companionway (Small).JPG (111.41 KiB) Viewed 88 times
So nevermind we aren't currently sailing anywhere that spray could come flying in from over the bow, the only answer was to have a spray dodger installed so that the hatch could be open even when it rained.
Spray dodger frame (Small).JPG
Spray dodger frame (Small).JPG (130.19 KiB) Viewed 87 times
And we're halfway there - just the material to be added ...
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
AndyG

Re: [boat refit] new spray dodger

Post by AndyG » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm

The frame looks nice.
Who did the stainless steel work for you ?
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:52 pm

AndyG wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm
The frame looks nice. Who did the stainless steel work for you ?
Thanks. To my inexpert eye it looks cool and grade 316 was used, which those-who-know-more-than-I-do say is the best for the job although a bit more expensive.

Baden Reed did the job. He has a small "workshop" on the hard in Simon's Town, being one of the FBYC approved contractors.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Of course, I (unintentionally) lied about just needing material, nothing is simple on a boat :roll:
So it wasn't just material to be added. First we needed a boltrope track so that the pattern could be established as to how and where the material will be fastened :roll: This took some discussions because those-who-know-more-than-I-do seemed hell-bent on having a wooden coaming built onto the coachroof (because the hatch doesn't have a garage) and on top of which the track would be fastened. I thought that might look crap.

In the end the wife (bless her heart of british oak) and I spent over two hours traipsing around the marina studying other peoples' spray dodgers. In the end we decided that the track could be fastened directly onto the coachroof. If it turns out that the water will find its way in I will add a canvas protective layer just in front of the track ( a bit like those plastic bits you see on the front of some cars bonnets).

So we have now progressed to this ..... there's a mock bit of material with a boltrope currently in the plastic track to keep it in shape while it adjusts itself to the curve while sitting in the sun ... or so they tell me :?
Spray dodger boltrope track (Small).JPG
Spray dodger boltrope track (Small).JPG (102.42 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Of course, it falls to be mentioned that in screwing down the boltrope track the screws penetrated all the way through the fibreglass coachroof and then through the marine ply veneer on the inside.

Luckily we're busy painting below decks so I used an angle grinder to trim the screw points back below the wood level and then filled all the the little hollows with wood filler, sanded that off level when it dried and - et voila! - it all disappeared under a coat of Velvaglow .... 8-)

"Just a bit of material needed to finish the spray dodger, my ass ..."
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
V5 - LEO

Post by V5 - LEO » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:02 pm

... :lol: :lol: always the quick fixes that can turn into major work in a flash - well now you know that part of the tub too, intamately :D
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:30 pm

A work-in-progress ...
Spray dodger - WIP1 (Small).JPG
Spray dodger - WIP1 (Small).JPG (124.33 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Spray dodger - WIP2 (Small).JPG
Spray dodger - WIP2 (Small).JPG (159.08 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town