[boat refit] furling & then nasty surprise!!!

General chatter - For ALL sailors and sailing Enthusiasts
Eddie

[boat refit] furling & then nasty surprise!!!

Post by Eddie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:49 pm

I wanted to take up a few extra turns in the genoa because the wind was teasing the sail open from the clew outwards while on the mooring. The idea is to have a few turns of the sheets around the genoa as well and that will help to keep the clew end in place when the wind blows - as it does in Cape Town :lol:

When I hauled in on the furling line I couldn't get it to move. Not even using a winch helped. And the furler wasn't jammed. Clearly the line wasn't running free through the bottom of the stanchions

The furling line used to run through the bottom support of the stanchions in getting back to the cockpit. Also the first turning block away from the furler was tied with a bit of cord to the toerail.

So I decided to upgrade the system by using a stainless steel shackle on the first block in place of the fraying bit of cord and then rather fancy fairleads on the stanchions leading aft to the cockpit. I then took a few piccies for this post and got a nasty surprise when I checked the photos on the screen .... the following photos are in sequence ...
Furled genoa1 (Small).JPG
Furled genoa1 (Small).JPG (134.33 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Furled genoa2 (Small).JPG
Furled genoa2 (Small).JPG (90.54 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Furling line block1 (Small).JPG
Furling line block1 (Small).JPG (68.91 KiB) Viewed 88 times
and the nasty surprise which I didn't notice when fitting the fairlead, probably because I was squashed between the coachroof and the guardlines and working at a funny angle - that's my excuse anyway :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Eddie on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
Eddie

Re: [boat refit] furling & then nasty surprise!!!

Post by Eddie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm

InkedFurling line fairlead (Small)_LI.jpg
InkedFurling line fairlead (Small)_LI.jpg (249.61 KiB) Viewed 85 times
And to replace the stanchion means, besides the costs of the stainless steel stanchion itself, cutting two guardwires because they've been swaged on the ends and then buying two new ends to be swaged on, borrowing or hiring a swaging device, and, having seen someone else do a similar job recently I'll try to work out how to do the damn job myself :?
However, the furling line works like a charm now 8-)
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
V5 - LEO

Post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:12 pm

....you get amazingly good welders that can fix and buff that to pristine quality.
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:29 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:12 pm
....you get amazingly good welders that can fix and buff that to pristine quality.
Hope you're right because it would be a lot cheaper than replacing it. Unfortunately we're kind of limited because there are certain contractors for various services (carpentry, diving, stainless steel, chandlery shop, etc etc etc) that are the club's preferred service providers and have places on the hard here. So its convenient, and probably socially more prudent (with me being new to the club), to use the club's contractors where possible. They make things a little more difficult for outsider contractors to operate here, not impossible but just more difficult (expensive?).

So if the local SS bloke can do it on the boat without removing the stanchion that would be ideal. I still need to talk to him.

To take it off and to have someone else do the job off the hard and outside the marina would mean removing the cracked stanchion which would mean cutting the SS guardlines, ditching the swaged on ends and then after the welding, buying and swaging on new ends and then that would be most of the cost.

Then if it has to be removed it might then be easier, and probably better (stronger?) from a safety point of view, to just put in a new stanchion.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
AndyG

Post by AndyG » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:53 pm

I was in the same predicament after another boat crash guybed into me during a race. Got the stanchion welded without removing it. The welder did a nice job and you can hardly see the repair.
I'm sure you'll have checked the other stanchions as well.
They come in handy !
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:54 pm

AndyG wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:53 pm
I was in the same predicament after another boat crash guybed into me during a race. Got the stanchion welded without removing it. The welder did a nice job and you can hardly see the repair. I'm sure you'll have checked the other stanchions as well. They come in handy !
Now that I've taken a closer look at the stanchions, there's actually two with similar cracks. Can't believe I haven't noticed it earlier! :roll:

We've decided to replace them both altogether.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
V5 - LEO

Post by V5 - LEO » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 pm

....just for info sake, a good weld is as strong as new material. But I get that since you refurbish, replace.
Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 am

V5 - LEO wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 pm
....just for info sake, a good weld is as strong as new material. But I get that since you refurbish, replace.
That's what I was told and maybe even stronger because they normally cut the pipe and then put a (not sure what you call it?) sheave? sleeve? inside before welding. The trouble is that there is already a bit of corrosion and other weak (suspect?) points on the stanchions being quite old so maybe better to replace. As AndyG said it's an important safety item.
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town