[boat refit] bilge & bilge pumps

General chatter - For ALL sailors and sailing Enthusiasts
Eddie

[boat refit] bilge & bilge pumps

Post by Eddie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Neither the two manual pumps nor the electric pump seemed to be working.

After my kind wife (with her British heart of oak :!:) cleaned the bilge with sponge and bucket (masses of mainly sawdust, seasoned with a little diesel and oil, was choking everything) and I had a crack at the filter on the electric pump we could at least empty the bilge that way. The two manual pumps will have to be stripped down to see why they're not working ... got to have a manual back up ...
Bilge pump (Small).JPG
Bilge pump (Small).JPG (104.66 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Inkedbilge water2 (Small) (Small)_LI (Small).jpg
Inkedbilge water2 (Small) (Small)_LI (Small).jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 121 times
bilge water1 (Small)_LI.jpg
bilge water1 (Small)_LI.jpg (231.01 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
Eddie

Re: [boat refit] bilge & bilge pumps

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 am

And so, typically for an unpractical (still wondering if that's actually a proper English word? :lol: ) person I stripped down the two manual pumps on board the boat (whale gushers) and couldn't see what was preventing them from working. This is not an unusual phenomena ... :? :cry: :roll:

But, I have a workaround. We're going to replace the old toilet in the heads and that uses two whale gushers to function: one pumping water into the bowl and one pumping it out and they are still working just fine.

So the plan now is that when the toilet is replaced by a fancy, slick-working, modern jobbie we can use the two whale gushers in the heads to replace the two manual pumps (one in the lazarette and one under the port bunk in the saloon) that aren't working.

In the meantime, holding thumbs that the electrical pump will just "... keep on truckin' ..."
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Miura 30 Cape Town
V5 - LEO

Re: [boat refit] bilge & bilge pumps

Post by V5 - LEO » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 pm

....and save a penny or two :D